Kristi J. (Thomas) Avalos founded Accessology in November 1990 as a direct result of her involvement in national disability related issues. Kristi has more than 30 years experience leading the charge for accessibility compliance and disability-related issues.
Through various experiences in working with disability regulations, and the panic associated with full compliance to such regulations, the need for dependable assistance was clear.
Kristi was instrumental in the development of a program for people to assess an “expert’s” knowledge of compliance matters. Through this effort the need for a strategically linked national organization devoted solely to assisting businesses, state and local governments and agencies in the practical applications of regulatory compliance became apparent.
Kristi began her efforts in the transportation arena helping airlines and airports comply with the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) after 12 years in the airline industry. She expanded to include ground transportation issues and facilities because of her close association with the Department of Transportation. In 1993, she again expanded to include consulting on all disability regulations (state and federal) with a goal of providing clients clear and accurate training and better understanding of their responsibilities under each regulation.
- Certified by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for architectural plan reviews and final inspection
- More than 25 years at the vanguard of accessibility compliance and disability related issues
- Provides local and national training to architects, building owners, property managers, contractors and real estate brokers on both state and federal accessibility standards
- Principal consultant for accessibility assessments, which determine compliance with state and federal accessibility standards for existing facilities
- Performs plan reviews and on-site inspections to determine compliance with the Texas Accessibility Standards
- General oversight of technical determinations made by Accessology’s Registered Accessibility Specialists
- Provides expert witnessing on ADA and ACAA legal cases
- Leads company product development
- Primary liaison with the United States Access Board, and other agencies and organizations that shape accessibility legislation and trends
- Project manager for mid-size to large Plan Review / Inspection Projects
Awards & Achievements
- Arlington Mayor’s Committee on People with Disabilities Award of Excellence for accessibility consulting on the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium, 2009
- Leadership Awards 1983, 1988, 1991, 1995
- Founder of the Ms. Wheelchair Texas organization
- Former board member for Access to the Skies, an organization for safe and dignified air travel for people with disabilities
- Advocate Award from the Paralysis Society of America, 1992
- Facility Access Award, American Airlines, 1991
- President’s Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities Award, 1991
Featured Project Experience
- New Dallas Cowboys Stadium – Dallas, TX
- Adriatica – McKinney, TX
- Fontainebleau – Miami, FL
- Dr. P. Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center Project – Orlando, FL
- Methodist West Houston Hospital – Houston, TX
- DFW Airport – International Terminal D – Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
- Love Field Modernization Program – Dallas, TX